|Program Manager of CropLife Ghana addressing the SSPs and farmers|
SNV Netherlands Development Organization awarded a grant to CropLife Africa Middle East to implement the Spray Service Providers (SSP) Project under the SNV/HortiFresh Program in Ghana. The program is being implemented by CropLife Ghana.
As part of the project, 270 SSPs in 3 regions of Ghana (Wenchi, Bono East Region; Keta, Volta Region; and Greater Accra Region) would be trained. At the end of the program, the SSPs are expected to have serviced a total of about 4000 vegetable farmers in the 3 implementing regions.
The main objectives of the SNV-HortiFresh program is as follows:
1. Provide access to professional spray services for 4,000 vegetable farmers.
2. Increase access to crop protection products for 4,000 vegetable farmers.
3. Improve food safety of vegetables and the environmental conditions at farm level for 4,000 vegetable farmers.
4. Offer business opportunities and increase the income levels of at least 255 young vegetable farmers younger than 35 years (SSPs).
5. Promote Integrated Pesticide Management (IPM) tools and the Pesticide Selection Tools among SSPs.
The SSP trainings have so far began in the 3 regions and so far over 105 SSPs have been trained, and 75 SSPs have been graduated and presented with appropriate set of personal protective equipment (PPEs), certificates, ledger books and knapsack sprayers.
The PPEs for the SSPs were entirely donated by MacroFertil Ghana Limited and RMG Ghana Limited.